Saturday, September 27, 2008

An afterthought

Is it wrong to completely abandon a major plotline because it will require too much research? I've been toying with this thought for a while. I have another plot I can use that I actually like better, but I don't know if I want to completely give up my original idea just yet. I know with fiction you can just make stuff up, but there is a degree of authenticity that readers enjoy. I'll give one example that actually pertains to a movie rather than a novel: in the film "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," Ratner is getting ready to go out on a date with the slutty girl. His sleezy friend (what the hell was his name??) tells him that she'll surely want to have sex if he plays "Led Zeppelin 4, side 2." In the next scene, the couple is in the car and Zeppelin's "Kashmir" is playing. I know I'm being picky about this, but "Kashmir" is neither on Zepplin 4 nor side 2. The fact that Cameron Crowe wrote the screenplay (and the fact that he's a huge music-buff) makes me wish that he'd done a little more research on that trivial little scene.

I just want to do things right and not have my credibility screwed.

No comments: