Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I've spent the day drinking Hater-ade.

I'm a book snob. There are some books I refuse to read for many well thought reasons. Here's a short list of what I have not and will never read:

  1. The DaVinci Code: I know the story. I know how it ends. I know people are so pissed off about this book and its Biblical ideas. I've seen countless hours of programming about this book on The History Channel. And I have no interest in reading this book ever. It was too hyped up back in 2003 and I simply don't give a shit about it.
  2. Any of the Harry Potter books: I don't like the idea that JK Rowling was considered a literary "saviour" and she alone was the reason children read books. When I was 9 years old (and this was back in 1991), I was reading Stephen King and VC Andrews. My grade school teacher called my mom and told her I was reading books that were inappropriate for my age level. Mom didn't care, I was reading and that's all that mattered to her. And this was before Harry Potter. And I HATE how snobbish people are when they hear you aren't an avid HP reader. "You haven't read any of them?" they say with a slight curl of the upper lip. Screw off!
  3. Nicholas Sparks novels: I've already discussed this one. Not going through that rant again.
  4. Serial novels based on TV shows: This includes Star Trek, CSI, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I know, I love the show but the books are lousy), and Star Wars. I'm sure there are many other crappy knock-off novels that are worth mentioning but I don't care enough to mention them.
  5. Chick Lit: I read a few of these when the "movement" first started (The Nanny Diaries, Confessions of a Shopaholic, In Her Shoes). It was witty and cute for about 6 months. Not so much any more. Hell, the name alone sounds like the cutesy mint gum I used to chew when I was in grade school. Now there are so many variations of Chick Lit that it's branched out into the land of Blogs and annoys me even more.
  6. Oversexed horror novels: Bentley Little, you suck. Just stop writing. Seriously. It's gross, even for my tastes.
  7. Stephanie Meyer: I do believe the Vampire Romance category is out. I have no interest in her, her novels, her wholesome background or anything else that has to do with her. The fact that my Grandma H. loves the Twilight series just kills me (and she's the same woman who thought Gone With the Wind sucked). And remember just over 10 years ago, BTVS debuted with a similar premise: young girl has ancient duties to kill vampires yet falls madly in love with a super hot one. Sorry Twilighters, I'll take Buffy and Angel any day, even if it's not good in book format. (or Buffy and Spike, I'm not choosy).

There is so much more to this list, but I'll save the rest for a rainy day.

No comments: